Friday, February 09, 2007

Stockholm Woe

Well, we got the news yesterday that our entry for the addition to the Stockholm City Library did not win the competition. Well, more accurately, it didn't even place in the top five finalists. So unless we get another "honorable mention" at the end of the entire process, we'll be coming back empty from this competition which took us about 5 months to complete.

But - I shouldn't say that. Because for this competition, Asako and I worked with three other architects. Two of whom have an office called SLAB (www.slab-a.net) and the other is a video artist as well, named noboru ota (http://momota.home.att.net/). It was a whole new experience for us to work in a team of five, and it worked out really well. We were all friends before the competition, and this sort of brought us closer together, rather than farther apart (as sometimes happens). So that was great.

Anyway, maybe I'll write more about it over the weekend, but for now, I'll just post a small version of our entry, because since now we've lost, we don't have to keep it quiet anymore.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty bad ass Kev....I like it quite a bit.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I definitely think it's honorable mention worthy!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I loved it and I think you should hold off on a wide distribution since you'll want to be sure and collect your fees when it gets built.

I hope you don't mind, sir dark, but I must use this forum to rant on the latest PC debacle. The Fighting Illini Chief is going to be retired. Yes, the so-called do-gooders get their way. A school representing a state named for indians with a proud tradition of honoring that history is forced to eliminate a regal symbol of that era. The historical correctness of the dance is of no import in this discussion. We are not imploring the clouds to open up and rain to moisten the parched earth or our long departed ancestors to vanquish the hated Hawkeyes. We're simply talking about a school that uses something from the past to inspire fans at athletic events. This isn't world peace people, it's halftime of about 20 games a year. GET OVER IT.
As for me, I'm on my way to buy up the last supply of Chief T-shirts, tie-dyed, I hope!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home