Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Champions League Wishes

First off, I just want to thank the few of you who A) still come to this blog and B) posted such positive comments about our library submission. I also want to thank those that A) hated the library, but refrained from expressing their evil views, B) began to try and express their views but were overcome by the joy and inspiration of the library, so they just said to themselves "I'll let the library just speak for me." and kept silent. (of which, I'm assuming there are roughly 30-40 of you) and C) stopped coming to this blog a long time ago because the "football" in the title wasn't referring to the NFL. Because I don't want their eyes on my page ANYWAY.

Now on to the post.

Let's see, what's happened since I last posted?
Okay - Newcastle walked all over their Belgian UEFA Cup tie opponents. With any inspiration or shooting accuracy AT ALL, we would have been up 4-0 by half time. But alas, we're awful from 12-18 yards out, so nothing doing. In the second half we woke up and eventually downed them 3-1. Coming back to SJP, you'd have to imagine this second leg is going to be rather simple. But you never can tell with those Belgians.

The Champion's League hast started up again! Even though the team I support isn't in the CL, I'm still crazy in love(ode to Beyonce) with this tournament(why am I oding Beyonce?). A) Its the only European football they actually televize in the US on ESPN (I'm taping the Barca v Liverpool match today on ESPN CLASSIC!!) but also, B)you've got the best football teams in the world playing each other, C) you've got the craziest fans in the craziest stadiums all over Europe rioting with each other, D) you've got riot police and tear gas(ode to Lille), E) you've got the chance to actually WATCH these other teams who usually never get TV time over here, but most importantly F) oh, the big F. You've got the chance - once a year - you've got the wonderful, beautiful chance to see every major television sports reporter 1) attempt to care about the CL Final and 2) actually attempt to give play by play on the highlights and run down statistics like they even have THE SLIGHTEST bit of knowlege about the whole thing. I mean - for those of you who don't know me (and continually tune in to the blog simply for the kick-assedness of my prose), I live in New York City. ("NEW YORK CITY??? ... get the rope." Anybody? Anybody?) We've got 200 lb ex-defensive linemen running sports over here, the only thing they're interested in talking about is who's gonna put the hit on A-Rod after he blows another post season, and when the Jets are going to be mathematically eliminated from the Wild Card race. When you say "football," they think "Coors Light Twins." When you say "Offsides" they think "blue line" and when you say "Celtic" they think "Celtics - Basketball- Boston - Red Sox - Those Little F**kers!" I'm exagerating a little - actually the sports guys over here are quite good. But seriously - even the best anchor on Sports Center looks like a FOOL when he tries to pronounce the second string keeper of any European club, or trying to explain what a corner kick is. That, my friends, is why I love the Champions League.

Let's see, what else has happened............
Ah yes, the Chief. I received a post from someone handled "That 70's Guy" or something of the sort, who never adequately described his true identity. I believe it to have been Ray. But who knows. I was born in the 70's, so maybe it was me. Those two guys from the cartoon network did a press conference based on 70's hairstyles, so maybe it was one of them. K-Fed's last dignified moment was at his birth, so maybe it was him. My father graduated from UofI in the 70's so maybe it was him. You just can't tell. So I say - if you're going to post on MY blog, thanks. But keep your handle CONSISTENT!

Ah yes, the Chief. University of Illinois sporting events will no longer hold dance parties on center court and the 50-yard line consisting of an age old dance which may or may not adequately represent a local indian tribe whom the University's athletic department has the namesake of. Now I was in school there when this thing really started to take the final turn downwards. I know the Chief, I love the Chief, I know the dance, the songs, everything. I was at the first All-Orange basketball game when UofI handed it to Michigan State to win the Big Ten regular season Championship in 2001. I'm orange and blue through and through, baby. Still - if you ask me about the Chief I have always said, and I will continue to say this: when a University or organization takes a name which is in reference to another organized group (in this case, an indian tribe), that group should be the #1 "DECIDERS" of if the name is representing their group properly. The moment that the group, as a whole, has a problem with the representation, and they wish for it to be removed, then REMOVE IT. In my opinion, I STILL would have gone to UofI if they were the Prairie Ferrets or whatever they might be called in the future. I didn't care. I care about how much I can learn, how drunk I can get while being perfectly of legal drinking age, and how many wins my team can get over Wisconsin and Purdue so I can smear it in the face of my evil friends who went to rival Big Ten Schools. Do I ever make fun of my friends because they're Boilermakers? Hell no. I make fun of them because A) their athletic performances were massively sub-par, B) They're either freakishly tall, or freakishly slow in the 40-meter dash, C) they don't understand the cultural significance of "Thundercats" or D) Even I can beat them in various video games. (Let me tell you - if I can beat you in a video game, you deserve shame upon yourself and your family.) So I'd be able to handle it if the Chief went. I'd still be loyal, I'd still be cheering for them. What I wouldn't be able to handle is if the University actually damaged the confidence and respect of one local indian tribe, who they've been sided with for so many years. If I were a member of that tribe, would I think the Chief or his dance is damaging? NO. But I'm not a member. And I think we need to listen to those members. That's what I thought when I was at the school, and possibly some things have changed since then, but if not, I support the decision to get rid of the Chief. I'll miss you, Chief. But damn, those Prairie Ferrets have one HELL of an American football recruiting class, huh?

Pitchers and Catchers reported last week to Spring Training and full teams reported this week. For anyone who hasn't, take a look at the Cubs' depth chart. Tell me we won't go to the World Series this year. I'm saying the Cubs will beat the Yankees in 6, after A-Rod goes 0-23 all series. And then the Cubs will sign him and he'll be MVP again as we repeat. But hey, that's just me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll beat them in 5 and the Chief rules, but other than that, right on brotha....

7:38 PM  
Blogger darkred said...

Who ARE you?

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess Dad (Chaz as some like to call him). But on the other hand...the "brotha" comment is a little out of charecter. Hmm.... Care to reveal yourself, 70's guy??

1:16 PM  
Blogger darkred said...

Due to the "brotha" comment, I had actually thought it may be Adil. Please show yourself, 70!

Oh, and for the legions of fans far and wide, who don't personally know: Jaimers and I (Your beloved author and moderator) are siblings.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww...you blew my cover bro!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home