Thursday, September 06, 2007

The season has begun...

Thanks for hanging on and checking your favorite website every day for the past few weeks. Architecture and Football is back for another post.

Well, now we're a fair amount into the new Premiership season. Newcastle's representing at 2-2-0, and after this week off for international matches, we'll be boosted by a few new players. Beye is potentially the most exciting - the captain of Marseilles and the right back we DESPERATELY needed, and Barton will finally get his first match. So far this season, we've shown that we've got the quality in the forwards and defense, but we just need a bit more creativity in midfield to really get the matches rolling in our direction from the first whistle. It's quite ironic and strange that now we're wishing our midfield was stronger, because this season it's actually stronger than it was last season, and it's currently our weakest position. That is a glaring example of how far we've come as a team since last season. While we're currently in 6th place in the table, I firmly believe that we can still push farther up as the season goes on. Let US be the ones to take the points away from the big boys. Bring them on.

In similar news, I recently purchased my very first Newcastle United kit. (To all the Yanks, "kit" means jersey in Brit-speak. Actually it means Uniform but I'm not prepared to shell out 40 bucks for shorts just so I can look like a freak walking down the streets of Chicago in full NUFC garb.) I bought the home kit with MARTINS on the back. It was a VERY tough decision for me and one which I labored over for weeks about which Toon to get on the back. My options were basically: Martins, Owen, N'Zogbia, Taylor, and Ameobi. Honestly, the moment I knew it would be Martins was the first week of the season, as his second goal of the match crossed the line from his superb overhead kick, as I sat, alone, at a pub in the River North district of Chicago at 9:30 in the morning, being the SOLE NUFC supporter in the club. At that moment, I said to myself (because nobody was there that I could speak to) "That's it. It's GOT to be OBA!" Mind you, I said this in my mind, not verbally. For once.

So the other news is that we finalized our purchase of the new home. It's a phenomenal place (photos will be coming soon) and every day I wake up and think "how can this really be MY property??" We're now in the never-ending task of trying to furnish it and make comfortable AND sweet looking at the same time. So far we've purchased a couch, coffee table, received a grill for free, some bookshelves, and we're still trying to fill the place up. It's much more difficult that I would have ever imagined to fill a two-bedroom condo when all you've ever had to fill is a studio apartment in nyc. We're also planning on doing a great deal of custom furniture, and we've started designing, and now its a quesion of if we can actually build the stuff ourselves, or who will do it and how much we'll spend and what kind of wood we'll use. We want to take it one step at a time, but it seems like there are so many prerequisites (if we want to install new kitchen cabs, we have to lay new flooring first!) that it's all going to run together to create one big project (and bill).....


So for now we're very happy with our place as is, and we're trying to get adjusted to Central Standard time, and having a great burger joint just downstairs rather than a great Chinese joint. Oh, also the new jobs are kicking ass - we've got very little stress on us at the moment and its fun to go to work - which has a tremendous snowballing effect on the joy of life - weekends aren't the only time I'm happy - so there isn't as much pressure to make the weekends PHENOMENAL and memorable and all that. We can just relax and enjoy and who cares if it's sunday at 5pm? It's just work. I think it has mostly to do with the size of the office...
We've also joined ZIPCAR - it's wonderful and inexpensive and convenient, but the best part about it is we're a part of a community which cares about urbanity and community and the environment and I feel like I'm committed to a truly worthy cause. So please check out zipcar and see if it's available where you are - it's REALLY REALLY REALLY great.


Hmmmmmmm.....I know this is truly hectic and schizophrenic and not constructed properly as a narrative but please forgive me for this, yet again, and continue to hold on to the hope that someday I'll construct a beautiful and useful blog post, and that our country will abandon the pointless war, and that Project Runway season 4 will be better than the previous 3 (is that even possible?) and that NEWCASTLE WILL BE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE NEXT SEASON!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home