Thursday, May 01, 2008

It's been a while

I have to stop sporadically falling off the face of the Blog-Earth like this.

You see....what had happened was......Mrs. Architecturefootballandfood's parents came in to town for about 17 days, and stayed in our second bedroom, which happens to be the same room my computer resides. Therefore, I had limited access to that room, especially at night, when I typically create these glorious posts. So I have to apologize - I did not get sufficient time to add new ones at appropriate times. But there will be a lot to cover....let's see what happened....

-Newcastle MATHEMATICALLY saved themselves from relegation

-Manchester United has tried increasingly hard to give the Premiership title away to Chelsea and now they're in a dead heat with the Red Devils relying on my beloved NUFC to pull out a result.

-CL finals are upon us, and the match is being held on my birthday this year - May 21

-I went to some fantastic restaurants, most of which I've been to before (Wildfire, Ai Sushi) but one new one (Alinea).


Monday, Newcastle take on Chelsea (at 10am on a Monday - come on!) and Chelsea haven't had all that much luck at Saint James Park over recent years. In fact - even TITUS SHAMBLES scored in the match against Chelsk a couple years ago - which shows just how much trouble they have there. If we win vs. Chelsea, the race is over and Manchester take the crown. If we tie, there's only the SLIGHTEST of chances for Chelsea to take it, and if we lose(heaven forbid for us all) it'll go neck and neck until the end. Watch this space.

With NUFC being mathematically safe from relegation, the supporters and club now look to moves we can make in the offseason to improve our massively underachieving club. The common thought is that we're pretty strong up front, we need some creativity and maybe a right winger in midfield, definitely a left back and most definitely a strong CB, and we're (as always) all set at keeper. There are rumbles we've already got a deal tied up for the up and down, unwanted Liverpool right back John Arne Riise. My personaly opinion is that, once again, we're going for someone who's past his prime, but truth be told, he's better than we've got now, so for 4 million pounds and 30,000 per week, it's not that bad a deal. I mean, he's only 27, so he's got a good 3 more years left in him. Other rumors include Gomis up front, Defensive midfielder Sessegnon from france, Darren Bent up front (no!), Eren Derdiyok from Sweden, Deco from Barcelona, and many, many others. Newcastle, being long-known overpayers, are typically linked with every available player out there, except for the really good ones, who only get linked with Man U and Arsenal. So I usually don't pay too much mind to these, but it's always exciting.

The CL finals are next Wednesday, between Manchester United and Chelsea. This is the first time in a long time (maybe ever??) that there are two English clubs in the final. It'll be held in Moscow. I am quite disappointed that two English clubs are in the final, not only because it'll be personally more boring since I watch these clubs all the time and I usually like watching CL football to see OTHER clubs stack up AGAINST English ones, but also because it shows the growing gulf between the English league and the rest of the world, while the English national team continues to struggle. While I'm happy that I get to watch the best league in the world every weekend, I wish it was more due to local English players rather than billionaire internationals (including far too many uneducated and laughable American owners) buying up all the talent throughout the world. But that's just me. Back to the game.
I believe on a neutral pitch, Manchester will Beat Chelsea around 8 times out of 10. They've got more fluidity, more natural talent, and don't need as many tactics to win. Chelsea DO, in fact, need brilliant tactics to win, and lucky for them, I believe they have them. Don't let that sound like they haven't got the talent though, because Drogba, Lampard, Terry et all are some of the best in the business. But at this moment in the history of football, no one on the planet - and I'm not exagerating - no one on THE PLANET can touch Christiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro. He, combined with Nani, Anderson, and the rest can create the type of football that fans like myself only dream that every club could produce. So if you have any chance to watch this match on the 21st of May - you might want to pay attention.

Restaurant reviews are to follow shortly.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty much a world holiday. Chelsea vs. Man U AND Kev's birthday. Doesn't get much better than that...

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few comments here for you:

-It is the first time in history two English clubs are playing for the Champions League

-Not all players are past their prime after 30...some of the best still produced way past their 30's...I think it can be debated that their "best football" came at a certain age...(Teddy Sheringham comes to mind, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs still produce well and they are in their 30's...Dwight Yorke helped promote Sunderland while he was in his 30's)

-United are a far more talented club, but I'm a bit biased. They have lapses still though and that is Chelsea's only hope...you really can't do better than Ronaldo right now though...I concur (Although Fernando Torres has SUPREMELY impressed me this season)

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I've realized that I'm very glad you've added food to your blog. I skimmed past all the "football" nonsense to read your food reviews, only to be disappointed when they weren't there. It's pretty surprising that I'm still reading this blog really. :)

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home