Sunday, June 29, 2008

Euro 08 and Sangria

This year's Euro Cup was one of the best international football tournaments I've ever seen in my short life. I know I haven't even been on this earth for 30 years, and I haven't been watching the footy for probably about half of that time, but ask any pundit and they'll say the same - if you missed this tournament, you missed something special. From the great surprises of Turkey, the "Cardiac Kids" (god, I hate that nickname), and Gus Hiddinck's quick, exciting, young Russia team; to the big guns that didn't let us down like the two obvious choices Germany and Spain, and the numerous matches going to extra time, or including scoring in the final minutes (ney - SECONDS!!) of the match; this tournament was a beautiful, beautiful thing.
Recently, UEFA has had discussions to increase the number of teams from 16 to 24 for future tounaments because so many quality, high profile teams were left out, with England being the obvious example. But in my opinion, while I would have loved to see England play against some of the other best teams in the world, I really didn't miss them. There was a cleanliness to the tournament that spawned from England's omission, I think. And just as the Champion's League has become less special and more convoluted since more teams were added, I think the Euro Championships should remain at 16 teams for similar reasons.
For the final today, my buddy Charles came over to watch the match with Mrs. Architecturefootballandfood and I. We had previously decided we would support Spain in this one, mainly out of pity, since they hadn't won an international tournament in over 40 years. But also, Spain are an incredibly exciting side, and their coach is to retire after this tournament, and what a great sendoff a championship would be. So that being said, the only appropriate way to watch a game in Spain's corner, is to have a nice cold Sangria in your hand! (right? I'm not really sure actually, but why the hell not?) So the new food entry is a great, great, great recipe for an easy SANGRIA.
First, buy a bottle of mid-range red wine - Merlot will do just fine. If you can though, try to find a spanish wine (from SPAIN) which are usually just called "red wine" or a spanish equivalent thereof. Trow (that's my Chicago accent - trow) the whole contents of the bottle in the largest pitcher you can get your claws on. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2-3 shots of gin, one little can of mandarin oranges (including juice), one little can of mixed fruit coctail (including juice), the cut up one lemon and one lime, squeeze the juice into the pitcher and then trow (there it is again) the lemon and lime in there as well. If you can, refrigerate this overnight. If not, try to put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Then, right before serving, add about 3 cans of ginger ale, and serve the whole thing over ice. It's refreshing, it tastes GREAT, and it'll get you hammered nice and quick. The sugar takes all the sting out of the red wine and the only thing you're left with is grown-up punch. Enjoy! And Viva Espana!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was this close to boycotting this blog if there wasnt something in here about Euro '08 since a) it is a fairly major soccer event that comes along only once every 4 years and b) I actually followed this whole thing!

Good recipe for sangria too!

5:14 AM  
Blogger darkred said...

sorry i haven't been writing much...thanks for sticking with me, brett!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home