Sunday, January 04, 2009

2008....AF&F style.

Thanks to Brett's great suggestion to do a "year in review" post, I'm doing a "year in review" post.
If you look back on 2008 with that 20/20 vision everybody always talks about, one word sticks out in your head: "Shite." I mean, barring Obama's wonderfully emotional and uplifting election, some great individual holiday/family/personal moments, some good food, and an occasional (and I mean REALLY occasional) Newcastle victory, 2008 was littered with economic crises, joblessness, wars wars wars, bad baseball, bad football, and even bad American football.

I'd have to say my favorite moment of the year was, of course, the moment when CCN predicted Obama's victory on the big screen at Grant Park, and I let out of surge of joy and excitement with all my friends there that night. From that point on through the rest of the night it felt like we were all together, on one team. Walking back home on Michigan Avenue, all was right with the world. People singing and dancing in the streets, not a single frown on a face as far as you looked, and somehow, we would all come out of this mess that the GOP had put us through for the past 8 years.
Some other highlights were: Of course, our trip to Japan, Christmas with my little nephew and some great food prepared by my Mom, the day Keegan was announced to take over NUFC's reigns, our emphatic victory over Spurs last season at White Heart Lane, our trip to Via Osteria, and another trip we took to a little restaurant called Bistro Campagne in Chicago, which I did not document on this site.
The lowlights were: definitely the day that many of my friends and coworkers got laid off at the firm, and it sunk in REAL QUICK how tough the next year or so is going to be, if we're lucky enough to stay employed for the next year, and the day that King Kev left Newcastle. I like to keep this place a happy one, so I won't get too into the downers of 2008.

So, it certainly was a tough one to get through, especially the last few months. But look - we're all here. We've made it. Let's get our chins up off the dirt, and keep walking forward. Because at the end of the day, as long as there is still architecture to enjoy, football to watch, and good food to stuff your face with, the world is still worth hanging out in.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait wait wait, let me get this straight. I check this site every single work day eager for new updates into the world of architecture, food and football, but mostly architecture and food. One of your top moments of last year dealt with food at Bistro Campagne and it wasn't documented on this site??? Only few greater injustices have occurred.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, YEAH! And plus you have been wasting our time with focuses outside the rut of Arch, Football and Food. I don't even think Obama winning the election can be a top event of 2008 because POLITICS is not one of your top 3 greatest things in life.

8:26 PM  
Blogger darkred said...

Well, check this out, NARCS: 1) I have another favorite event pertaining to food, also not on this website, and I was thinking about posting it - but since I'm receiving such unwarrented internet text abuse, I'm having second thoughts. And 2) How dare you say the election of Barack has nowt to do with architecture football or food? A) What's the most important thing about the presidency? The White House - Architecture. B) Obama is the commander in chief - and football is often strategically compared to the act of war. C) Obama's favorite food is pizza. Think about that.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home