Monday, January 19, 2009

The So-so-Bowl...

Well, what do you know? The Superbowl will be between the Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers. YIPEEE!! Thanks to American sports' belief in parity, it has become official: I have ZERO interest in basically all championship games anymore!!! There are no superpowers in American sports. There is no good, no evil. There is even no history anymore. The Cardinals (apparently) have the second longest drought in sports for championships. But WHAT Cardinals team does that refer to? The Arizona Cardinals, with the future hall of famer, pretty boy, young go getter behind center, Matt Leinart? Oh, my bad. Leinart, the "future" of the Cardinals got replaced by the "history" of annoying God-touting players and even more annoying players' wives, Kurt Warner. Or the Phoenix Cardinals? Or the St. Louis Cardinals? Or was it the CHICAGO Cardinals? The Chicago team, by chance, happens to be the last Cardinals franchise which DID win the championship (prior to it becoming the Superbowl).

My question is: Who cares? Who cares who wins this Superbowl, or any other Superbowl for the past few years. Neither team belongs there. The Superbowl champion will not be the best football team in the country, period. So what are we celebrating? Champion of what? One game? And then what? After two weeks, EVERYBODY will forget who won. Let me ask you this - honestly - how long does it take you to remember who won the Superbowl last year? (I remembered pretty quick because I'm a Giants fan.) But how about two years ago? I'd have to Wikipedia who won it three years ago because God knows I can't remember that on my own.

I'd hate to be a pro-England Anti-American blogger, but I remember Premiership champions. Maybe that's because it's plausibly only going to be 4 or 5 teams. Maybe it's because there are no playoffs, and the team with the best RECORD at the end of the season is Champion. End of story. No artificial drama or extra rounds for TV money's sake. Maybe it's because the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker and parity is thought of as mercy in English football. I don't know. But this seems right to me. I know that every year, I can hate the good teams because they'll beat my team. I know who will be contenders, and if a new contender comes along (Aston Villa or maybe Man City in the future) it will probably take them a while to build a worthy team, and they'll probably remain contenders for a while. There is NO flash in the pan.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because I have to go to work on MLK day. But I don't give a TOSS about the Superbowl this year.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you to a certain extent, I really could care less about the Cardinals and the Steelers (although the Steelers could vie for the most titles in Super Bowl history which could blow your theory out of the water). It is nice to see the Cardinals in there (excpet for their putrid record) and not the same old teams every year, which is why I like the NFL where anything could happen in a game (except for the Bears games). If it was a series you get like MLB where the Yankees and the Red Sox are in it every year and to me that really takes the joy out of the championship games.

10:31 AM  
Blogger darkred said...

I mean, it really doesn't blow my theory out of the water because SOME team needs to have the most titles.
You see, I DONT like how anything can happen in any game. If that is the case, then upsets really don't matter much. That's kind of my point. If you have the established super powers, then an upset really means something.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I don't follow EPL all that well, is there an American sport that sort of follows your theory? Would baseball be more on your track?

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what's the matter with experienced God touting qb's? Is there something wrong with someone going to the superbowl more than once? Is there something wrong with a person feeling self confident enough to freely state their belief in God? The fact AZ doesn't belong there has nothing to do with it, just wondering where all the negativity came from??

7:29 PM  
Blogger darkred said...

Actually, yes there is. He's a football player. Not a billboard. He can think whatever he wants, marry whomever he wants, believe whatever he wants. But every time he opens his mouth in front of a camera, he brings it up. If he were asked "Kurt, which religious idol or belief would you say pushed you on the most in preparing for this victory," then I'd say yes - that's a great answer. But in all the interviews I've ever seen, they've asked about football, not Christianity. It's not the God part that I take issue with, it's the Touting part. If some QB wrote a book and were asked about the game, and he responded by saying "well, as I say in my new book, which comes out February 8th at Borders everywhere...." I'm sure a lot of people would think he's got an agenda.
And there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with somebody going more than once - that was kind of my point. On this level, I wasn't taking a jab a Kurt at all, but the Cardinals. All they could talk about for two seasons was how Matt Leinart was going to revolutionize the game. And he flopped. Hilarious!!

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home