Wednesday, October 29, 2008

post-japanlog1

^The interior of a Japanese Shinkansen (or bullet-train) car^

I'm expecting there to be two of these post-japanlogs, only because I'm now and work and can't dedicate much time to this, for hopefully obvious reasons. I just wanted to let all my loyal readers know that I have returned from the land of the rising sun, and am now back in Chicago, at work, and trying my utmost to recover from a particularly cruel bout with jetlag. I have recently discovered that nighttime cold medicine will do wonders, and I hope that one crucial dose that I took at an awful hour of the night last night will have put me over the edge to normality in my sleeping habits.

Japan was, of course, wonderful and enlightening and relaxing and incredibly busy, as it always is. Having since moved to Chicago, I've gained a lot of responsibility and pressure at my job, so I'm now starting to realize just why people need to wind down every now and then. I understand country houses and golf habits. If you have been reading the blog recently, you will know how fond of ohn-sens I am, and so these two topics are about to dovetail into a head-first dive into finding out where some great spas are in this country. There HAS to be someplace in this country as relaxing as any of the Japanese ohn-sens and I'm dedicating myself to finding it. For some reason, I have a feeling its not going to be in the Chicagoland Metropolitan area, but that is no deterrent. I'll travel.

The trip had many highlights: The Japanese modern houses I saw, the trip to the South with Mrs. Architecturefootballandfood's brother, the great dinner with her cousin and her cousin's fiance and drinking way too much of way too many new alcohols, the realization by my niece and nephew that I, truly am, the coolest white dude to ever set foot on Japan, of course the ohn-sens, heading out on my own in the Tokyo metro subway system, and the food, food, food.

I'll add many more photographs later - hopefully tonight or tomorrow night. But for now, I guess I have to try and get some work done.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as the spas go, have you thought about the Sybaris? Based on their commercials they look oh so comfortable and relaxing. :)

I have a buddy I will talk to about this as he is particularly fond of Asian culture as well and has found some good Asian spas in the city.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I was going to say try the Kohler spa in Wisconsin, but I think Brett's idea is better.
(Yes, I just typed "gosh.")

It's nice when children under 5 think you're the coolest, isn't it? Just wait until they turn 6. :)

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home