Friday, October 20, 2006

A first!

Back on the architecture tip...
Yesterday was a day that marked the next phase of my architectural career. I participated in my first architecture critic jury panel! Basically, what that means is, when you're a student in arch school, you create projects, and a couple times per semester, a panel of jurors comes to hear your arguments, look at your stuff, and they give you feedback. Well, I was one of those jurors yesterday, for the first time.
My old bosses, Ali Rahim and Hina Jamelle, asked me to participate because they're doing a studio in the Pratt School of Architecture called Elegance, which is also the title of their new AD Magazine, with many projects that I designed. (See earlier posts) So, they figured I could positively contribute to the conversation, and I believe that I did, quite well. The complete panel of jurors was myself, another gentleman who was a professor at Harvard and has a project in the Elegance mag, another guy who used to be Morphosis's Thom Mayne's #2 who now has his own firm in NYC, and the head designer for the Acconci Studio, sort of a rogue art/architecture group based in NYC. It was really great company to be in and they were all very receptive to my comments, although it was quite obvious that I was the youngest, and probably least intelligent in the bunch. At any rate, it was a great time, and I'm excited to participate in more and more of them. And hopefully, a studio professor job will follow fairly soon after that. Just fyi for all the dedicated readers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home