Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sports and Happiness

Why do men(and some women) take so much enjoyment in sports? I must be in the upper 10% of this category, and when I think about it, I have no idea why. Does it make my life any better, really, if my team wins? (Or in my case, usually, worse when they lose) Do I learn any skills? Yes, I think so - teamwork, perserverance, etc. But I don't think this is why we love it so much. Is it the testosterone-driven version of soap operas?

Anyway, yesterday was a killer day. Newcastle actually won a huge match which will help us immensely in our bid for safety from relegation. The Blackhawks won game 6 to put them into the Semi-Finals. This is HUGE for the Hawks, being a very young team in a league that is still hoping to gain some popularity. The Cubs had the day off - so they did NOT lose!!

But why do I care about any of this? I'm still faced with the same moral, professional, economic issues that I was yesterday. In the long term, the Hawks going to the semis doesn't really stack up against the thousands of retirement dollars I've lost in the past couple years....

1 Comments:

Anonymous bsauter said...

It really is an interesting experiment to see how a group of people playing a sport that has no direct relevance on your life whatsoever and whom have no idea who you are, can affect your personality and mood.

I can remember after the Bears lost in the Super Bowl I was downtrodden that whole week. Thats why I cant imagine how much work won't get done after the Cubs win the world series in 2095.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home