Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A fresh start

Well it's 2010, I'm about to become a father, and I realize that I have hundreds, if not thousands, of loyal readers out there who are just DYING to know what I'm thinking. Just thirsting for some input into my mind. Because if there's one thing the world needs more of, it is people like me, Ochocinco, and Fergie constantly spewing out any scraps of gibberish that pop into our heads. Yes, I consider myself to be in the same ilk as Ochocinco and Fergie.

In a weird way I've grown to hate blogs. I've certainly fallen out of love with Facebook, and only had a casual relationship with Twitter to begin with. Blogs have gotten lumped into the social media category - somewhat unfairly - because these other platforms have skyrocketed in popularity by standing on blogs' shoulders. Blogs have seemed, though, to stay in the picture because of their range. There isn't a single page layout, or tool palette that makes them successful. There isn't a faceless administrator who updates no matter if you're ready and willing or not. There aren't strangers coming from your past that make you either join their e-club or enjoy seven sleepless days and nights due to guilt and regret. The best blogs are the best because of content and personality. The words, images, and information that is added is what makes them redeemable. In a weird way - the effort, creativity and truth of a blog - rather than just "brain-spill" is what separates them. These are just my opinions, though.

So what I have decided to do is start writing on this blog again - I'm not promising every day or anything because that's just asking for failure. But I'd like to keep the ol' fingers in check and make sure my noggin is working. So what I've done is compiled a short list of things that I've been thinking about recently. I think, at its most simple, and probably best, a blog is just a depository for thoughts about random subjects, with occasional links thrown in. There you have it - that's my idea of a great blog. Ground breaking, I know. I'll use these bullet points of interest and expand on them a bit. I'll throw them out there and see what sticks. I doubt there will be any real progress made or decisions come to, but in this case the journey will just have to be more important than the destination. Because there probably won't be one.

So that's what I'm going to give you. Just some topics, with my thoughts on them - as random and all-encompassing as I can. I believe that is what will make this space interesting for me to write and for you to read. In the end, as all blogs do, I'm sure readership will dwindle down to 0 (or maybe 1 if Brett stays as loyal as he has for the past few years. Good morning, Brett), and this blog will be by me, for me alone. So for this space to be truly successful, it has to clear the cobwebs out and nimble up my mind so that the net can be cast farther out than I've ever been able to cast it before.

We'll see how often I post, and for how long this lasts - hopefully for many many posts to come. And if anybody came here looking for posts on architecture, football, or food - you might yet be in the right place. Or, you could just go to http://www.plexdesign.wordpress.com/, http://www.urbanpalate.wordpress.com/, or http://www.sportingo.com/ (and search under my name.)

I couldn't come this far without a little self-promotion, could I?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Brett Sauter said...

Cmon, where are these thoughts at?

9:28 AM  
Anonymous jaimers said...

I haven't checked this in months, but thought I would today. I guess I must have "known" today was the day to check! And I agree with Brett, where are the actual thoughts????

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home