Monday, March 15, 2010

Thinking about Free Time

Many times, I'll talk to someone, casually swapping weekend run-downs and stories. For some reason, it always seems like my weekends are far less interesting than other peoples'. Either we work at the office, we work at home, or we run errands. That's basically it. Maybe once every other month, we'll do something like go to a park or see a film(actually this one is more like a couple times a year). But it seems that most of our free time is spent either working (so what IS free time, anyway?) or cleaning up after ourselves. We like to keep a fairly clean house, but nothing special - usually we just clean extra hard before we know someone is coming over. I guess we might enjoy eating more than your typical family, so maybe more time is spent researching, shopping, cooking, cleaning, and of course, eating. But this doesn't feel like free time - it mostly feels like, well, more work. Work that we love of course, but still - cooking isn't necessarily easy. It's fun, but not easy. So it seems that my life is taken up, mostly, by work, more work, eating, cleaning, and I guess you can throw sleeping in there as well. These things seem to me to be parts of every person's life. Things that I could not do without. But the thing is that after all these things are done, what time is left for anything else? It seems not much. So I'm left to wonder - where, exactly, do people get all their free time?
Sometimes when I hear people listing all the many things that they've done recently, or things they've accomplished, or events that they've seen or participated in, I think to myself "I need to do that more often" or even "sometime." And then I sit down and make a list of all these things I want to do and as I turn over to the fourth page, I think "How?"
For instance, watching movies. I love the idea of watching movies - I love cinema as an art, I love watching the Oscars, I love almost everything about film. Except for the fact that for 2+ hours, I'll have to sit in front of a screen and watch this thing, without interruption, and without doing anything else. If I only have 2 hours free, then that's IT. That's my day. I guess this goes back to the travel post about how there are too many great places to see, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to make a hobby of that.
Even a bit more worthy pursuits, such as research or independent study. To REALLY get something out of it, one would have to devote at least 5 hours a week to something like that. 5 hours a week doesn't sound like much initially, but think about every single night for an hour, or ALL of one weekend (that isn't spent on chores and tasks.) That's hard to come by. But if you want to get into something, you need to devote the time to it.
So I guess in the end, when I think about it for an extended period of time, I just enjoy doing things that I, myself, don't consider to be "free time." And as always, the grass is always greener on the other side. I'm sure that other people see me and say "man I wish I had time to do that" just like I think of them. But from this side of the fence, it doesn't feel like I've WISHED to do these things, so I do them. It just feels like these are the things I must do - and once I do them, on to the next! Because there just isn't enough time to stop and relax.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Brett Sauter said...

I had a lot of thoughts regarding this as I have been thinking about it but my prevailing thought is: Just wait till the kid. :)

5:41 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I knew either Jaimee or you would say that. I'll have to write a follow-up post in a year's time.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home