Friday, October 20, 2006

Newcastle United Preview

I'm at work, so there's no fancy graphic this week. Maybe I'll update it tonight when I get home.

Alright, it's come to this: We're playing Middlesborough, and I'm not completely confident going in. Something is wrong with this picture. Fortunately for the Maggies, we had a positive outing this midweek in the UEFA cup game with Fener...Febe...that good Turkish side. And what was the difference in the squad that GR put out on the pitch? NO TITUS SHAMBLES. Our back four lineup was Duff on the Left, Taylor and Ramage in the middle, and Carr on the right. For once, a stroke of genius from the gaffer.
Going in to this game, it's notable that Babayaro will be back to fitness, and is through with his red card match ban. So using this Thursday's game as a jumping off point, place Babs on the left, and keep the rest of the D the same, which gives you Babs, Tayolor, Ramage, and Carr. I'm still not happy with Carr, but he's as good as we have for now. Taylor is much more skilled and intelligent that Bramble, and to me, Ramage just can't do any wrong. So it's a great lineup at the back. Let Duff be on at left midfield, Parker and N'Zogbia in the middle (Emre is nursing a sore back, so keep him on the bench) and slot Milner in on the right. As I stated last week, we need the speed on both wings. Not only for attacking sake, but because both of our outside defenders have a tendancy to get too far in attack, so we need speed on the wings to support them getting back in defense. That leaves two slots in the front. I say start the game with Rossi and Martins. I love these two players, but it's a bit concerning that they're both so short(even though Rossi is listed at 6'-2" I just can't believe that). Keep Sibierski and Ameobi on the bench if we need more size, and don't be afraid to bring them in whenever it's obvious that they could help. But we really need to see what Rossi can do over an extended period of time. That gives us a fairly small but incredibly quick and skilled side, to counter the laborious Middlesborough side. With our rotten away form, I have a hard time seeing us scoring any more than a goal, and although all the pundits are giving Southgate a 2-1 victory, I say the Black and Whites will hold them for a 1-1 draw.

My Official Prediction:
Middlesborough: 1-1 :Newcastle United

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home