Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Newcastle Weekend Review and Preview

UUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.


Must I go on?
Since all these losses have started to run together in my mind, as will my posts. It's becoming difficult to differentiate how we appaulingly lost this past game from the previous 2 or 3 disappointing matches....oh yeah! Got it. THIS TIME, we had the lion's share of posession and chances in the first half (AGAIN) but couldn't capitalize on any of them (AGAIN), then in the second half we came out flat (AGAIN), our opposing team changed their formation and we couldn't keep up tactically (AGAIN) and we gave up a heart-wrenching last gasp goal (AGAIN) to tack up a big "L" on the results sheet (AGAAAAIIIIIIINNNNN). Forgive me if I begin to forget the specifics in the coming weeks, because all my beloved team has provided me with is fodder to believe that THIS FORM WILL CONTINUE.

One good piece of wisdom that occured to me while Kramer and I were discussing my emotional footballing depths this week is this: I know why I'm destined to be a Newcastle supporter: because I'm a Cubs fan! Think about it - I didn't choose the Cubs. They chose me. (well, really my father chose it for me when I was too young to be discressionary. And I still thank him for it to this day.) My point is, being a Cubs fan is my lot in life. And the Cubs always lose. They ALWAYS lose. Even when they're a few outs away from going to the World Series (hypathetically, of course), a fan (proverbial fan) with his little headphones and turtleneck-sweatshirt combo will stick his mit out and take away an easy out, thus destroying every hope and dream we had of actually achieving something.
But I digress. I've been taught to love a loser. I love losers who try and try and try and put on a great show, and who have all the heart in the world to go out there and give the fans so brilliant sporting action. And the fans, in return, MUST show love to the team. Are we seeing any similarities here? Cubs -> Newcastle. Newcastle -> Cubs. It makes PERFECT SENSE!!

Okay - on for the preview. Being the ignorant, blind, adoring fan that I am, I'm predicting a BIG VICTORY for us today against one of the top sides in the premiership in the Carling Cup. I love the Carling Cup, and I hope we stay in it long enough to visit some tiny, adorable countryside stadia. The great news for nufc is that Kieron Dyer is coming back into the fold today, a wonderful player who's been out for far too long. I think he'll have an impact going forward (teaming up with Rossi, who is starting today!)
However, this game will be determined by our back 5 (or 4 or 6 or 9.3, depending on whatever ridiculous formation GR comes out with today) If we can do a decent job of pulling some offsides, not giving up easy crosses into the middle, and keeping set plays under wraps, we'll come out victorious.

My Official Prediction:
Newcastle United: 2-1 :Portsmouth

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only live Premiership game I saw was Fulham v Man City. After watching David James in that match, and in the net in England matches, I swore he would never be on my fantasy football team. That decision has probably cost me a few points.

But hopefully, for Newcastle, he'll find some of his old lack-of-form and comic goalkeeping maneuvers.

G'luck.
-karen

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home